Wednesday, July 1, 2009

2009 Avon Walk For Breast Cancer

I left last Friday to participate in the Avon Walk For Breast Cancer. I don't have anyone in my life that was affected by Breast Cancer but my sister Katie was participating and I thought it sounded like fun. So we set off on the plane. We both talked about how were were a little scared but when we got on the plane it was like "Oh we can do this no problem". We were both really excited to participate in such a great event.
The walk started bright and early on Saturday morning. Here we are freezing since we didn't know how cold it was we were not that prepared. But we were both really excitied and happy especially that they had breakfast laying out on the tables ready for everyone. The opening ceremonies started and that is when I knew that this was going to be a great experience. It was very emotional hearing the stories from both women and men on how breast cancer has effected their lives. Right then I knew that the next two days was going to be worth every mile. So we started off.
Once we started on our walk and were amazed at how much support from the crew members and volunteers that we received. It seemed like we were one big happy family. The love and kindness that everyone showed was overwhelming. The first 13 miles went by fast and we were all feeling really good.
There were five of us in our group. Once we had finished lunch we were very excited and started out for the final and last 13 miles for the day. How hard could it be the first 13 miles was great. Little did we know that this is where the challenging part was going to be. Once we got to mile 16-26 we were all pretty much beat and in pain. I didn't know that walking would wear out your body that much. But every time when you were thinking I don't want to this any more or my body hurts there was someone that would walk by and ask how you are doing and give you words of encouragement. There was one experience that I woun't forget is that we came to the top of this hill which was mile 19 and were all exhausted and thinking we don't want to go on. Then saw this women who had to have been at least 70 years old and was wearing a sign that said 20 year survior. Oh my heart just went out to this women that she has been in much more pain than me and look at her. That is when you tell yourself this is why we are doing this for the women and men who have been affected by this horrible disease. Hey if this women can do it so can we. So we headed on our way to finish the last 7 miles for the day.
Yep, here we are with the aches and pains at the 26 mile marker. As we were crossing the finish line the tears that came as we had just accomplished something great. Swollen feet and all there was a fresh pool of water with a bag of ice for us to soak our feet in when we were done. The smiles, cheers, and looks from everyone made it worth every mile.
Sunday when we woke up we were all really sore. After a great breakfast despite the fact we could hardly walk we headed out to walk our last 13 miles. This was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. My body was over worked but, just when you are ready to give up someone was there to help boost your spirits and keep you going. The love and support from everyone is what got us all through. By mile 35 I was just drained and it took everything I had to keep moving. As we all held hands and walked through the finish line it was worth every mile we walked. The joy and emotions that you feel was overwhelming and the cheers and love that everyone showed was worth it.
I would have to say this was a very humbling experience. Despite my bruised shin and sore hips I would definatley do it again and encourage everyone to participate in an event like this. I would say that spiritually and mentally I am a better person because of this walk. I am very greatful that I was able to share this experience with my sister and to get to know her. Thanks Katie for everything. I love you.









3 comments:

Leslie said...

That is so touching. And totally awesome that you did it! I can't wait to hear about it in person.

James and Jenni McBride said...

I am so proud of you!!!! I understand what you mean about the support and encouragement. When I sit at the finish line at the end of all James' races, it is like a community of love. Everyone is cheering everyone on and they are geniunely excited for every person that crosses the finish line. Great job and a great cause!!!! We love you Tammie!

kp said...

MAN Tammie!
Thanks for making me cry! Jerk! This was such an amazing experience and i cant think of any other person i would have rather shared it with then you. I love you tons!

-Katie