Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Kaleb's Scare!!

Well we have been pretty lucky this year with Kaleb. It never fails that at least once a year he really scares us! For some reason which of course is always unknown Kaleb has episodes which gives him breathing problems. Yesterday when I got home from work I picked up the kids and Jeff to run some errands and I noticed that Kaleb was coughing really bad. So we put it on our list to make sure to get him some cough syrup. No big deal right. Well then as he was sitting in his car seat I looked back at him and noticed that he was struggling and working hard to breathe. Almost like an asthma attack but the doctors never call it asthma. So I was just keeping an eye on him. We were in Walmart and that is when I noticed the wheezing so we decided it was time to take him in to urgent care to have the doctors look at him. This one came on really fast and we are just glad we caught it early so NO hospital time was required. Sure enough they didn't like the way his lungs sounds so right away he was given a dose of steroids followed by a breathing treatment. Once the first treatment was over they listened to him and decided that it would be best to do another one because he still was working to breathe normally. Well to my surprise Kaleb was a big boy and handled this very well.

He even likes to wear the mask now. He puts it on and then waves his arms around like he is swimming. It takes about 8-10 minutes for the entire treatment.

He is so grown up because he just sits there now and is calm and doesn't cry or through a fit. Yeah for us to not have to be stressed out the entire time during the treatments. It is hard enough that he has to have them every 4 hours. The only down fall is that there are steroids in them which makes him a little hyper. But hey we can deal with that.....

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Poor kid! I'm glad he sailed through it, all things considered.

Jill said...

I'm so sorry to hear that, It is so scary! I hope he is doing better, he is such an angel.

Jimmy Mac said...

I am sorry Tammie! Those treatments are rough to keep on top of. I am so glad that you are such an amazing mom and caught it so early. Proud of you cousin. Lots of love.
*This is Jenni

Iveta said...

... got tears in my eyes... not sure why ... he is such a brave boy! And so are the two of you... I really miss you guys...

Emily Ruth said...

Wow! I am so sorry, but so grateful you caught it early. You are a great mom.
Much love from san diego: )